rudder cable pull test question

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Rowland_Carson

rudder cable pull test question

Post by Rowland_Carson » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 am

My new Europa inspector says he'd like to see the results of pull tests on my Europa monowheel rudder cables. I can't see how to do this easily (and safely!). First, thee cable are already installed and pass through bonded-in fairleads so can't be removed for testing. Second, I can't find a spring balance and hand winch that will enable me to set and measure a 550-pound pull.

Any ideas?

in friendship

Rowland

ColinC

Re: rudder cable pull test question

Post by ColinC » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi,
I am not really qualified to answer this properly, but I am pretty sure that he's talking about proof loading the cables, not in-situ. Don't go applying those forces into the installed system without more advice.

Get you inspector to clarify what he wants done.

Colin
Colin Cheese

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:51 am

As I see it , he wants to check that they had been proof tested after being made up and therefore should have been issued with test certs.

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:18 pm

catch 22 no proof, cut them out and replace with ones that are tested,AND then not be able to fit them as they need making up in place as you cant fit the new ones???
Graham Dawes

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Rowland, you need to ascertain whether your Inspector wants the installed rudder cables proof-loaded , or a representative swaged cable proof-loaded .
If it's the latter [which I hope it is] then just make up another , and get a couple of big lads of similar weight to hang on it.
If they were made up by an external organisation , then that organisation's receipt should constitute as a Certificate of Conformity .
If neither of the above apply, then perhaps you should get your Inspector proof-loaded .

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:46 pm

If this is a kit from Europa then the cables were included from them? If so refer him to the company.
He is being very pedantic??
Graham Dawes