Oil Filter Article

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Rob Swain

Oil Filter Article

Post by Rob Swain » Sun May 04, 2014 10:27 pm

Just read the oil filter article in the mag.

All good advice, but I have a couple of things to add.

Regarding the modified pipe cutter filter opener mentioned: the original article was for car sized filters as fitted to Jabirus and slotaxes. It can be further modified to open aircraft sized filters. That's what I use.

The Tempest filter in the piccies also includes a magnet inside that catches steel particles. Worth looking at once the can is opened. Champion filters don't have the magnet.

Some older Lycomings are like small Continentals in that they have screens and not filters. My O-320 did.
I changed the screen to an aftermarket side loading filter housing (supplied by Van's) as space at the back of the engine on an RV6 is tight. Another alternative I have seen is to cut the spanner hex off the filter to get it in on a standard Lycoming straight housing as described in the article. I believe other people have put a recess in the firewall for clearance.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.