Very informative building manual for wooden airframes

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Richard Mole

Very informative building manual for wooden airframes

Post by Richard Mole » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:50 am

There is a nice Bob Grimstead article on the Falco in the July Pilot magazine and a letter from Alfred Scott on page 38 explains that he is winding down the trading activity at Sequoia Aviation that has been selling the Falco F8L drawings and supplying kits and parts from the US under licence, for at least a couple of decades.

He has placed both the build manual and the drawings on his website as free downloads, just go to http://www.seqair.com

The build manual is an extremely well written and informative book of over 400 pages that is a major free resource. It may be of real interest - particularly to builders and future builders of wooden aircraft of whatever type. Indeed the first 100 pages or so are pretty generic in coverage and authoritative too. As it happens, I recently wanted to find out all I could on minimum bend radius of plywood. A Google search had produced a few odds and ends but left me wanting much more. Pages 10-7 to 10-11 of the Falco build manual told me what I wanted to know.

The drawings may not be everyone's cup of tea! There are so many of them and they are to a very high professional standard. They might well deter some would-be builders without a traditional engineering background and that would be a real pity. But taken in conjunction with the build manual they might also inspire others.
Richard

dmcnicholl

Re: Very informative building manual for wooden airframes

Post by dmcnicholl » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Thank you for posting this. That is one beautiful set of drawings, but then the Falco is one beautiful aircraft.
Donald McNicholl

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:52 am

Likewise, thanks for pointing us to this, Richard.

(How is the Mite progressing...?)

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:12 am

Thanks Donald & Nick.

Richard

PS The MITE is coming on well with the wing, crew seat, flaps, ailerons, control systems finished and installed (save for wing tip mouldings) at about 25 kg the lot. Here is something I presented at a recent meeting on the wing design & construction

I'm doing the rudder now and will move on to the stabiator soon - here's hoping but progress is hard won.
Richard

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks Richard for the link, most informative documents and filed for future ref.

Good to hear the mite is progresssing.
Cheers
Ian
Ian Melville

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi,

I also came across this FAA publication "Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook - Airframe" which has some good information on wooden aircraft construction and repair.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies ... a_Ch06.pdf

I think I have seen a version of it before, but it must have been updated fairly recently as it has some good graphics in it.

The whole set of chapters is here:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies ... _handbook/

regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese