VW's and composite props?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ivanmanley

VW's and composite props?

Post by ivanmanley » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:21 am

I know standard front drive VW engines are only appoved to use wooden props, but what about rear drive VW's? Is the wooden prop limitation due to internal resonances or because of the front bearing srength? Rear drive engines take advantage of the bigger rear bearing so if it's just a strenth issue perhaps they're allowed?

I spoke to engineering yesterday, but the person available didn't know and suggested an email. As it's only an embrionic idea at the moment, I see no point in wasting their tme if sombody here knows the answer.

Ivan

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:58 am

when looking to replace my prop, I looked at comp props. I spoke to a manufacturer in USA - I cannot remember which - it was the ones with an ally hub and carbon ground adj blades, he adviced me that they are unhappy to supply props for VWs. The crank is not strong enough, so I guess it does not matter which end you are driving
Peter Diffey

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:23 am

Thanks Pete,

I've seen Ivoprops supply props for VW's, but that could be for reduction belt drive run ones?

Ivan
________
CHEAP GLASS PIPES