Bleeding Piel Emeraude brakes

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

jabberwock48

Bleeding Piel Emeraude brakes

Post by jabberwock48 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:55 am

Hello
We removed a wheel from our Emeraude for maintenance. Somewhat to our surprise the only way we could replace the wheel over the drum brake shoes was to open the bleed valve and push the pistons in. The pistons would not push in fully unless we did this.
In the course of this some air got in the system. We tried to bleed the air out the other day in the usual manner without any luck. Only a dribble of fluid and air would come out and the starboard brake pedal has no resistance at all.
Any advice welcome -perhaps it is necessary to back fill via the bleed valve under pressure?
John
John St Noble

tnowak

Re: Bleeding Piel Emeraude brakes

Post by tnowak » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:38 am

Can't help with the specifics of an Emeraude's brake system. However I found the best way to bleed the brake system on my Piper Vagabond was to pump fluid into the system from the bleed valve on the wheel assembly. Works every time for me doing it that way.
Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:07 pm

If you have easy access to the bleed nipple, we did exactly the same procedure as above - it naturally pushes the "bubbles" uphill, but watch your reservoir level.

jabberwock48

Post by jabberwock48 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:17 am

Thanks
Thought that might be the way. We have easy access to bleed nipple - any suggestions as to a suitable implement. Not sure if a ordinary oil can will produce sufficient pressure. High pressure oil cans only seem to be available from US or Hong Kong - I guess the EEC thinks they are too dangerous for us.
John
John St Noble

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:06 am

I used an ordinary metal "pump" oil can. Was a bit messy but got the fluid into the system okay.
I doubt you need much pressure to squirt the fluid into your system as your brake system shouldn't be under any pressure.
Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:31 am

Use a disposable 20ml syringe.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:56 am

Bill McCarthy wrote:Use a disposable 20ml syringe.
Or a 60 or 100ml. You can probably backfill the entire system without having to refill the syringe (and risk bubbles) then.

I attach the syringe using thin clear pvc hose - basically thin windscreen washer hose. Just fits on the end of the syringe and over the tiny Cleveland bleed nipples :oops: on the RV. If it is a bit tight warm the end of the hose up a bit first.

I get syringes from http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/. I find I get fewer looks and questions than buying from chemists, and they keep bigger sizes (like the 100ml). I keep a supply in the workshop - surprising what they come in useful for.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.