Randolph Enamel Paint

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

bashleyhorn

Randolph Enamel Paint

Post by bashleyhorn » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:11 pm

In realise I probably should have initially used another paint type but I have committed to using Randolph both Butyrate and Enamel as they trace back to my airplanes original 1940 colour cheme.

I get brilliant results with the enamel when I spray small components, gear legs,hinge brackets etc BUT when I try to spray any flat panels, boot cowl etc I get wrinkling/orange peel, sometimes with the first coat but also with the second and third coats.I have used an Randolph epoxy primer and have followed Randolphs recomendations with timing between coats etc but the same poor results.I have used both HVLP and Compressed air systems with the same result.

SO does anyone out there have any experience with spraying Randolph Enamel or know of anyone who they could recommend who could do the spraying for me?