Priming completed sections

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

paul330

Priming completed sections

Post by paul330 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:31 am

I am starting to get a selection of completed parts which (sadly!) are going to need storing for 2-3 years before final assembly. Inevitably, I have collected the odd small scratch and ding and at least some of the Alclad has been scuffed off in places, and I am concerned about corrosion protection.

As I understand the "standard" paint scheme, you have an etching primer, undercoat/primer, colour coat and then clear. What are the thoughts about spraying with etch primer before storage? Will it "go off" if it isn't given another coat? What are the issues with compatibility when it goes for final painting? Is there likely to be a corrosion problem (the interior is all primed)?
Paul Marskell
RV-10 ZU-IIZ
At Mercy Air, White River, RSA

Bearhawk Bravo QB under construction

Andrew Leak

Post by Andrew Leak » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:20 am

Etch primer is just that. You really need to prime after 'etching' and if you going to store panels, use bubble-wrap in between plates to allow air to flow through (up to a point of course!). Primer will tend to absorb moisture quicker than a 'painted' panel as it supposed to absorb the top coat. However, saying all that, I've accidentally stored some etched only panels for about 4 years (I totally forgot they were there!) and they haven't got a scratch or any corrosion on them - I've used them now and they are really as good as new. I suppose it really depends on your location as well, but I live near the sea so that blows that theory out of the water too! Lucky?? Who knows?

Andrew