Filling & finishing small GRP moulded parts

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian Law

Filling & finishing small GRP moulded parts

Post by Ian Law » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:34 am

Could anyone recommend the best and lightest method of filling the outer surface "weave" on some small epoxy/GRP fairings I have just made? I assume that either glass or phenolic( which I already have ) micro-balloons in epoxy, applied thinly and sanded down carefully, would be a good option.

I used the plastic film "sandwich" method to laminate the glass fabric, as demonstrated in an EAA video and this has worked very well, with a fairly smooth finish, but it could do with some improvement so the small imperfections don't show through the fabric.

Ian

MikeM

Re: Filling & finishing small GRP moulded parts

Post by MikeM » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:36 am

Hi Ian, I've used epoxy with micro-balloons but also found U-Pol #5 High Build Primer aerosol from Halfords very easy and convenient for small parts. http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... ild-primer

I'm sure members far more experienced in composite methods than I can suggest alternatives.
Mike Mold (007106)
Jodel D117A G-BFEH, Watchford Farm, Devon

Ian Law

Re: Filling & finishing small GRP moulded parts

Post by Ian Law » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks Mike and I'll given it a try!

Ian