A company that can overhaul Limbach engines

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Westerhuis

A company that can overhaul Limbach engines

Post by Westerhuis » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:20 am

Hi everyone

I wondered if someone knows of a company other than Limbach (and its agent in the UK) itself that can zero-time an expired Limbach 1700 engine and provide a form-1 for it?

Thank you

Rogier
Roger Westerhuis

Chris Martyr

Re: A company that can overhaul Limbach engines

Post by Chris Martyr » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:38 pm

Roger, I assume that you're U.K. based , and what type of aircraft do you fly ?
As Limbach's are VW based derivatives and any sort of core overhaul will normally only involve the use of VW manufactured components , I am a little bit miffed about the requirement for a JAA Form-1 . I may indeed stand to be corrected here, but I'm sure that most VW's are regarded as stand-alone experimental installations and require nothing more than a sign-off from your Inspector.
I fly behind a VW myself and would be very interested to know the outcome of your enquiry.

Dave Reid

Post by Dave Reid » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:31 am

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I just have in the back of my mind that Stu Hoy at angliasailplanes.co.uk might be able to help.

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:23 pm

Stu Hoy is the UK agent for Limbach. He dealt with our motorglider's Limbach after an "incident" required a shock-load test. But he sends the engines back to the factory in Germany.

You could ask Ken Ballington at http://www.ukaircraftparts.com/. He has rebuilt our engines in the past... I'm not sure if he is still doing this, but could certainly offer advice.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:29 am

I may be wrong but "Zero Time" can only be done by the manufacture, even them I don't think they are allowed to call it that. Seems to be a lot of myths in that area.
Ian Melville