Duralac Green jointing compound

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian Law

Duralac Green jointing compound

Post by Ian Law » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:29 am

Has anyone tried the new Chromate free Duralac Green?

I'd be using it mainly to prevent rusting and galvanic corrosion of the bolts in a wood airframe. From the data sheets, it looks as though it may perform better than the original Duralac, but I wonder if its superior adhesion may make it impossible to remove the bolts at a future date.
Last edited by Ian Law on Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Hopkins

Re: Duralac Green jointing compound

Post by Harry Hopkins » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:26 pm

Ian,

I haven't tried this new brand but we've used a non-setting chromate based jointing compound - JC5A (available from Light Aero Spares) which would obviate problems with later maintenance.

Best wishes,

Harry

Ian Law

Re: Duralac Green jointing compound

Post by Ian Law » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:12 pm

Thanks Harry, but JC5A is very pricey for me and I've seen some less than favourable comments on the web. Just checked the LAS web page and the JC5A + applicator & including VAT, but not delivery etc., is £67.22.

Until I find some information on using the new green stuff, I may have to stay with the "yellow", even though this isn't perfect.

Ian