corvair

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

mbak

corvair

Post by mbak » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi guys are any of you running a Corvair ? Any issues ? Mark
Mark Baker

SteveB

Re: corvair

Post by SteveB » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi Mark,

Can't claim to be running a Corvair yet, but I've been building a Pietenpol with one fitted for many years!

There have been issues in the past with crankshaft failures, but you can buy fifth main bearing kits and even a 'billet' crankshaft from the USA, which seem to have solved the problem.

It would be worth checking with Engineering before going too far planning to use one in anything other than a Pietenpol, just in case they are not keen?

Cheers.
Steve Bryan

Nick Allen

Re: corvair

Post by Nick Allen » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:16 am

There was an article in the LAA mag a couple of (or more) years back about someone running a Corvair -- I'm afraid I can't remember more than that, though presumably, as Steve suggests, Engineering should have relevant information.

If you look under "Corvair" on the Panther site, there is information about the fifth main bearing and billet crankshaft:

https://flywithspa.com/