Stromberg NA-S3B carb parts

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian Law

Stromberg NA-S3B carb parts

Post by Ian Law » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:06 am

Could anyone point me in the right direction to find a definitive list of parts that apply to my Stromberg NA-S3B carburettor, to match it to my Continental A-80. Fuel feed is gravity only. (The engine came with a long since out of production fuel injection system, for which parts and servicing are unobtainable.)

As far as I can, I've already drained the web of all information about my carb. Most results relate to the NA-S3A and are useful, but there are some gaps.

There is an excellent old video on You Tube covering a basic overhaul/service. I've dismantled and cleaned my carb with more confidence after viewing the video.

I think there may well be different jet(s) and perhaps a larger venturi - mine is 1-1/4" - required for anything beyond the A-75. There is a reference to a variant of the NA-S3A1 being used with the A-80, with gravity feed only. In the same reference, the NA-S3B is mentioned, but there is no mention of the A-80.

My carb has the back suction mixture device, but this will be re-wired in full rich.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ian

tnowak

Re: Stromberg NA-S3B carb parts

Post by tnowak » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:13 am

Hi Ian,

I am not familiar with an A-80 but it looks like an A65 with different pistons etc.?
This year I had my Stromberg NA-S3B overhauled (I have an A65-8F) and had to do the same thing as you are trying to do (check part numbers etc.) I now have a thick file of Stromberg info!

Can't check the info now until next week but will see what I have.

Tony
Tony Nowak

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:41 am

Many thanks Tony and I'd be grateful for any snippets of information!

The A-80 does have different pistons(heavier, unfortunately),5 rings, oil squirt holes in con rods, higher permissible rpms & so on but is otherwise the same as the A-65. I'd be happy with an A-65/75, but an A-80 is what I've ended up with.

Regards.

Ian

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi Ian,

PM sent.

Tony
Tony Nowak

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:16 am

Thanks Tony and reply should be with you now.

Ian