Bearhawk 4 seat taildragger

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

richarddauncey

Bearhawk 4 seat taildragger

Post by richarddauncey » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Does anyone know if someone is building a bearhawk in the UK? I asked the LAA what mods would be required to approve the type here but heard nothing back.

nuggets

Re: Bearhawk 4 seat taildragger

Post by nuggets » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:47 am

You have a PM richard :)
Paul Dennington

johnmichie

Post by johnmichie » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:42 pm

Richard

I don't think it works like that. You have to put in a proposal and they will look at it. Try asking for the paperwork needed for a new type approval and go through that. If you are the first, be prepared for a lot of work.

John

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:04 pm

John,
Richards first question was a valid one, and there is no reason for not having an almost immediate response.

You are right that the onus is on the wanabe builder to demonstrate that the aircraft meets the standards. IIRC CS-VLA for up-to two seats and CS-23 for more. The standards, are used as guidelines for permit aircraft, but you would have to justify any deviation from the standard.

In the first instance I would ring engineering and speak to one of the engineers informally.
Ian Melville

ian herdis

Post by ian herdis » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:03 pm

Hi, Richard.

Don't assume that any mods would be required, they may not, however engineering would need to assess the design before they could answer that. Perhaps the designer Bob Barrows would be prepared to provide a not for construction set of plans direct to the LAA for assessment.

Are you interested in building as a four seater? If so you have to show compliance with the design code where as if building as a two seater you have more lee way and you could have the design cleared to build on fleet hours, if the whole fleet has amassed 2500 flight hours you can take that route.

Ian

richarddauncey

Post by richarddauncey » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:58 pm

Thanks for the replies chaps. I'll get a set of plans and take a look at what's required. I'm going to Pheonix to fly the aircraft next spring and see what's envolved from that end first. I like the 4 seat so that's my plan eventually. I know the LAA have looked at this aircraft in the past and a wing mod was spoken of. I need to speak to John Tempest as I believe he has some experience of the type. Many thanks again everyone for your time.

ian herdis

Post by ian herdis » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi. Richard.

A good site for the Bearhawk is the Missipi Mudbug builders website by Eric Newton.

You may have seen it already but I thought it worth posting just in case as its a great site with a ton of information.

Eric sells a builders manual which I bought, it's very well presented.

Ian.