Sonex aircraft

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Domo1977

Post by Domo1977 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi
Just wondering if anybody is building a Sonex at the moment and how they are finding the kit as it's one of the aircraft that is on my list of possibilities for a home build project.
Also does anybody know if you can buy sub-kits over here like you can in the US? I've e-mailed Silver Fern but not heard anything back yet.

Cheers

Dom
Dom Cheater

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:56 pm

MDF1 wrote:Personally I'll wait until the RV-12 is cleared in the UK and take comfort from the fact that I'll have not been penalized for living in the UK.
Why don't you buy an RV-12 kit and get it approved for the UK? Somebody has to do it? If you want one why don't you get it approved for all of us?

This is the spirit of co-operation that you seem to so applaud in RV approval and deride in the Sonex situation.
However, the fact is that without Silver Fern we wouldn't have the option of the Sonex at all as the manufacturer flatly refused to sell kits to the UK and continues to do so except though Silver Fern.

The Sonex is a great piece of kit and I do feel for Mike Moulai (a genuinely nice bloke!) in going to all the effort of getting the beastie approved only to have its market place swamped by a veritable deluge of competing aircraft in the last couple of years.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Dave Stephens

Post by Dave Stephens » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:41 pm

Now that my Mustang is finished and the lengthy test flight phase coming to an end and my pitch instability is fixed (thanks to Francis Donaldson, the man is a genius!) i only have the Fokker E3 to finish over the winter then i will be looking for something else to knock up. As a model flyer with quite a few Jet models, that Sonex jet looks fun!! what is the deal with that? what is the cost of kit and engine and delivery etc. (i know it will have to go through all the approval stuff but i am used to that now!!

Dave

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:01 am

Johm Monnet reckons the kit will cost under $50K, possibly under $40K. Haven't heard anything about when it will be available though.

Dave Stephens

Post by Dave Stephens » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:30 pm

scary thing is i have already started puting pen to paper on a SSDR turbine powered plane!! it can be done as the engines way only a few pounds each (will need at least 2) and there is no vibration/torque so no heavy mountings (exept for the tank! their THIRSTY!!)

Dave

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:52 am

A look at G-info shows that there are no sonerais in this country with a current permit.

I find this very strange. I owned one for a long time and loved it !

G.Dawes , you say you still have your moni..Quote " 5000 pounds of scrap metal" Why?..I've been trying to buy one for years... 2 came up for sale last month and I have bought one and may yet buy the other one !
I'm really looking forward to flying it!

Monnett just like Marmite! :roll:
John Cook

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:06 am

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:11 am

Yeah, but none IN permit!...WHY???
John Cook

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:03 pm

Perhaps the curvature of the Earth changed :lol:

Used to watch one depart Doncaster..... No, not Finningley, Doncaster many moons ago - Keith McBride I believe. Used to depart through the light pylons in the railway yard.