VW Ali engine barrels with iron liners

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

longman

VW Ali engine barrels with iron liners

Post by longman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:38 am

Has anyone attempted this as I am about build a 2.3 litre flywheel drive engine for my Kitfox.

I am researching interference fit's etc, so any suggestions would be welcome.

As I recall the BSA gold stars had ali barrels with cast iron, meehanite or ductile iron liners, so not impossible.
Phil Trangmar

dmcnicholl

Re: VW Ali engine barrels with iron liners

Post by dmcnicholl » Sat May 07, 2016 9:17 am

I haven't attempted this although I am aware that it has been done. Nor do I know your technical capabilities.

But, the discontinuity between a liner and the barrel forms a break in the heat transfer path from the liner to the outer barrel with its cooling fins regardless of how close and exact an interference fit you can achieve. The very presence of the joint, any joint, is the break and, of course, the poorer the fit the worse the problem will be. Whether or not this is a show-stopper for your intended application, I cannot say. I merely point out the potential problem.

IIRC L.J.K. Setright mentioned this in his book 'The Power to Fly'.
Donald McNicholl

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:39 pm

There are aluminium Nikosil coated barrels that could be used. Great plains used to sell them, but don't anymore? They save about 10lbs in weight IIRC

Ivan

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:32 pm

Didn't save many 'pounds' in the other department though Ivan :D
About six times the cost of a set of 92mm Mahles .