Using Brackett type carb air filters

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian Law

Using Brackett type carb air filters

Post by Ian Law » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:58 am

Has anyone experience of making up the required aluminium frame for a "custom" shaped filter of this type? There is a welder local to me who could deal with that aspect. The hot air box I'm using is of the type that would fit an Aeronca Chief/A-65 (not the application in my case) and there isn't a standard Brackett filter to fit this box.

The web page suggests this is feasible and I'm awaiting a reply from "Brackett" ( or is it "Hinge"?), in case one of their standard units might be adaptable and if not, I'm hoping they may supply some parts to help me on the way, if I need to make a frame up myself.

Any advice appreciated, as long as it isn't "Don't be a skinflint. Go out and buy a nice new hot air box!"

Ian

ps (10/8/16)

It occurs to me now that it may be better to buy a slightly larger standard filter unit, complete with frame and the all important gasket and simply make an adapter plate for this from some fairly sturdy al. alloy plate, to be mounted on the front of my carb. hot air box.

The table on the maker's web page suggests my (Aeronca type of ) box is more than large enough to deal with the required air flow for the engine (A-80). Hinge & Brackett suggest that it is vital to prevent even the most minute particle of dust from entering the induction and I'm sure this is excellent advice in an ideal world, but the design of this type of hot box leaks like a sieve anyway, disregarding the hot air side of things. I could probably reduce the slight leakage at the front of the box by having the adapter plate welded to the front of the box, but from previous experience this would make it difficult to remove the flap valve for future maintenance. A nasty job at the best of times. )