'Airdrome Aeroplanes' (USA)

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Nigel Kerr

Re: 'Airdrome Aeroplanes' (USA)

Post by Nigel Kerr » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks much food for thought.. I've been to a number of the rally's at Cranfield and Sywell (and once at Kemble) but I always feel a bit of an outsider at these things as I don't know anyone that has any interest in aviation or who flies.

The trade stands and flea market are quite interesting but as I'm not building anything it's all a bit flat, I normally come away with a few books and a few happy snaps from the Air Park.

I think if the right kind of project came along I might be tempted but it would have to fulfill the right criteria...not sure what that is TBH and it changes with time but seems to revolve around alternatives to Auster, Bucker Jungmeister, Tiger Moth, Chipmunk.

Tony,
Thanks for the info.

TRAZZELL

Post by TRAZZELL » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:47 pm

Hi Nigel,

One thing to consider if getting involved in your local strut. You'll meet like-minded people at strut meetings and be able to bounce ideas around with other folks who have likely been down the same road. I am the coordinator of the East Midlands strut so do contact me if you are in the South Notts/Leicestershire/South Derbyshire area. Otherwise, look up the struts nearest to you via the Clubs & Struts link on the home page.

Tony
Tony Razzell

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:23 am

4535jacks wrote:I too like the look of the airdrome aircraft and would like an eindekker but cannot stomach the 250% markup on the kit buying through GSAL . In the US it is $5000 (£3800) yet GSAL charge £9500+VAT!
If you saw the work GASL had to do to make it acceptable to the UK market, you would revise that opinion. BTW there is nothing to stop you ordering a kit direct from the USA, just don't expect any local support.
Ian Melville

Nigel Kerr

Post by Nigel Kerr » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the Strut suggestion - I'm in the Watford /NW London area and there isn't a local Strut - there is a friendly sounding Microlight club a couple of miles away who have invited me to visit them and I plan to do so in a couple of weeks.

Hi Ian,

I don't think anyone can really begrudge the prices charged by GSAL they seem to be on a par with other similar SSDR aircraft and Ian is quite correct in respect of the time and effort they must have put in going through the 'hoops', plus they are a company that needs to make a profit. The US have a different attitude in respect of pricing than we do.

What I find particularly scary is that a weight shift microlight can cost upwards of £30k..

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:27 am

Don't look at the price of the P & M Pulse R :shock:
Ian Melville

Nigel Kerr

Post by Nigel Kerr » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:28 am

I can think of better ways of spending £48k!

Nigel Kerr

Post by Nigel Kerr » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Visited the Rally on Saturday and was disappointed but not really surprised at the fact it was a washout.
Managed to get a few photographs.

I had a close look at the Sherwood Ranger and the Fokker Eindecker, I am impressed by the way the Fokker is developing and find it a little sad that they have only been able to sell 9 kits over the years.

The airpark was limited, but a few old favourites were there (Thorpe T18, Bolkow Junior). The usual suspects were also there; the Nicollier Menestrel, Piel Emeraude and a smattering of Jodels. Sadly the yellow Pazmany PL2 (G-OPAZ) was not. Aside from classic tail-draggers there were a number of 'Vans' types but they leave me cold - the aeroplane equivalent of the replica Lotus 7 which swamps the kit car shows shows.

There was nothing much of interest for me in the marquees and after my photo session in the air park I wasn't sticking around wet and cold to queue for the LAA stand.

A couple of things I noticed was that the average age of those attending was 60 + and were engaged with those demonstrating handicrafts (doping fabric etc). The youngest people were cooking in the burger van.

No further forward in selecting a design - but it won't be wood, and won't be a Vans, Gruppo Trail, Sherwood Ranger or some plastic flying eurobox. The Rutan Long Eze always floated my boat and they are quite cheap (in the 'States) but with 17 pages of required modifications (LAA TADS) I'm not surprised.

Perhaps I need to look at the SSDR market more closely (I'm not interested in hours building) but I can't quite get my head around the SSDR build / operating regulations - or lack thereof.

At least I have a few definitions: (which everyone seems to have to post)

Budget: £20k
Not wood construction (unless folding wings)
Wing configuration: Any
90 kt cruise, 120 kt vne
Single Seat
Short field capable
2 1/2 hour duration (not a tourer - if folding wings it can be transported)
Non aerobatic (or basic aeros approved)
Aesthetically pleasing (whatever that means)
Kit OK where costs can be spread out over a couple of years but a project for £10k with a £10k repair budget (or £15k / £5k etc).
Recognised LAA Permit type with a number of years flying evidence.

No need for suggestions as it will be another year before I'm ready.

4535jacks

Post by 4535jacks » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:21 pm

I was there on Saturday but had to fly in Firefly as the weather would likely prevent me getting my Jodel back to its hangar. I thought there was a good mix of aircraft and some nice ssdr types. Unfortunately I didn't get chance to have a good look at the merlin but I did take a look at the groppo single seater and though it was a nice design. It is a £20k kit and can be built as SSDR on a two stroke or very light four strike or if you want more power, a 350kg group A aircraft.

I really liked the Isaac spitfire there and the Titan mustangs.

I had a look around the eindekker again and my first thought was how the hell do you get into it!

The GSAL Neuiport looked nice though.
Gary Jackson

Mike Freeman

Post by Mike Freeman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:31 am

Was just reading this old thread and your list is similar to mine when i was trying to decide.

Did you ever choose a project?