Why do we need approved inspectors?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

bryan5373

Why do we need approved inspectors?

Post by bryan5373 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:31 pm

We employ an LAA inspector to inspect, test fly, approve, advise and help complete our paperwork. Why does the engineering department then question their judgement and paperwork without ever having glimpsed the aircraft!

Either we trust their judgement or the engineering department needs to do all the inspecting.

A better suggestion would be to trust our inspectors and employ admin staff to complete the paperwork.
Bryan Plunkett

mikehallam

Re: Why do we need approved inspectors?

Post by mikehallam » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:02 pm

FWIW.

We don't actually 'employ' the LAA Inspector, he does it voluntarily under the LAA regulated & monitored who also pay insurance. The thank you token payment he gets, if at all, is towards his travel cost and not anything more as a rule. Unless you don't do the Annual work yourself.

BTW. I think the office should check the documents .

mike hallam.

bryan5373

Post by bryan5373 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:43 pm

Yes that's what I meant Mike, thanks for clarifying that. :D
Bryan Plunkett

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:03 pm

If that is the case why do so many now charge up to £200 to come over and fill out paperwork or sign logbooks, they treat it as a business even though not even qualified just authorised, I resent training as a
CAA engineer and having to fork out to a local person who just happens to be an inspector not having done the exams and qualifications. that I did.
Graham Dawes

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:05 am

Don't use an inspector that charges that much then Graham. I live in the same region as you and know Inspectors who do not charge anything like £200. Thing is these guys do it voluntarily and choose who they are prepared to work for.

Matt Dovey

Post by Matt Dovey » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:08 pm

Graham,
You could if your a CAA licensed engineer become a LAA inspector. That's what I did. I'm sure Ken at LAA HQ will help fill you in on the details.
Any way if your inspector is doing his job properly he will doing more than just filling out a form and signing log books.