Jodel D120 Fuel Tank Contents Sender Unit Removal

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

markdesmond

Jodel D120 Fuel Tank Contents Sender Unit Removal

Post by markdesmond » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi All,
our Jodel D120 is fitted with a single 115ltr fuel tank mounted behind the seats below the parcel shelf. The sender unit of which seems to have ceased to work. (Might be the guage) Has anyone got any advice on how to remove the sender unit from the tank? The sender can be accessed from a panel in the parcel shelf...... I am loath to apply any great pressure in a missguided attempt to unscrew it from the tank fitting incase I damage the tank or fitting.
Regards

Mark

Felipe Vizoso

Re: Jodel D120 Fuel Tank Contents Sender Unit Removal

Post by Felipe Vizoso » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:54 pm

This happened to me when I had a D120. The fuel gauge wouldn't read full because the cork float was saturated with fuel. I removed the sender from the top of the tank and carefully removed the float arm (very fiddly). Having purchased a new arm and plastic float from Peter, I found it COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE to re-install the float and arm through the various tank baffles. It might have been possible if the tank were not in the aircraft or if I had removed the rear canopy perspex. In the end, I purchased a replacement capacitive sender unit from Peter and threw myself on the mercy of LAA Engineering - who reviewed and approved my proposed mod in less than a week. The capacitive fuel gauge worked well and I believe it is still flying today.

I'm sure lots of more capable people than I could have got the float arm back in. However, before you undertake this - have PLAN B to hand. Good luck.

Felipe

G.Dawes

Re: Jodel D120 Fuel Tank Contents Sender Unit Removal

Post by G.Dawes » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:03 pm

Had exactly the same problem the arm is long and tortuous making it almost impossible. In the end I used a dipper and worked out the hourly usage ( generous ) and did it that way, This was along time ago and the electricla capacitance one were unheard of in simple aircraft. There are loads of them now so look it up on google then through yourselves on the mercy of the Engineers, with a mod. It would probably be a lot better that the odd Wassamer system.
Graham Dawes