Nav lights on my Emeraude

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

scanlanactive

Nav lights on my Emeraude

Post by scanlanactive » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi there,

Has any one fitted nav lights to their aircraft? I can see some have them but could do with talking to someone who has done the job.
I'm hoping for night and IMC approval in the future
Last edited by scanlanactive on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neil Scanlan

Leesr

Re: Nav lights on my Emeraude

Post by Leesr » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:46 pm

What for? Night flying?
Rob Lees

gdbird

Post by gdbird » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:07 pm

I am busy submitting the mods to add them to my Europa.
I have found a 10W led 'jeep light' with lens for a landing light and have made resin potted combined wing tip nav and strobe lights again using 10W cee LEDs. I have also added dimmable cockpit red strip LEDs above and around the side of the dash and an overhead dimmable red LED and white light.
Graeme Bird

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Wed May 03, 2017 4:11 pm

When checking out an LED installation be sure to check for radio interference.

I have fitted LED bulbs to my existing aircraft light fittings: these are intended for aircraft use.

I've found that they cause radio interference that can get so bad that it breaks through the squelch level on the radio. It's a decent Bendix King KY-96 radio, properly installed.
One ends up with constant crackle / white noise in the headset.

A ferrite ring looped round each light's power wire just behind the light fitting has eased but not eradicated the problem.
I think screened cable may be the answer, but that will have to wait until permit renewal time when all the panels are off!
Need to decide whether single or twin screened lead might be the solution. Probably fit twin, provide power and ground for the LEDs at the panel end and ground the screen at the cockpit end.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Going back to the side reflector incandescent bulbs is not really an option at over £50 each.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.