CAD for Electrical Diagrams

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Gavin Bell

CAD for Electrical Diagrams

Post by Gavin Bell » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Can anyone recommend a cad system that would be suitable for production of semi-professional dc electrical diagrams. Must have a library of the typically required symbols. HAve seen some Europa wiring diagrams that look rather professional!

Thanks

Gavin

Ian Melville

Re: CAD for Electrical Diagrams

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:10 am

When I used to do this as part of my job, we used Autodesk AutoSketch, as all other CAD programmes were overkill. AutoSketch allowed us to create our own library of telecoms symbols and use them.

It's not available anymore, but now there are also many better applications out there dedicated to creating wiring diagrams. Many are free, at least to try out. e.g. http://www.circuit-diagram.org/
I don't have any recommendations, so I would search for 'Circuit Diagram Maker' and try a few out. In particular look for one that will allow you to create or import your own symbols, which are aviation specific. You are unlikely to find a Garmin 430W as a standard symbol, though the connector should be. Then check the output options available, so can be very restricted.

With our impending radio change, I think I need to look at this as well. It's a complete rewire for us, but then the entire system consists of one radio, one battery, and a pair of headset sockets :D The current ( :roll: ) diagram is almost back of fag packet type.
Ian Melville

4535jacks

Post by 4535jacks » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:27 pm

I use hevacomp to LV/HV power distribution networks. It may work for DC too.
Gary Jackson

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:43 am

Now there is a bit of software from my past. Sledge Hammer to crack nut would be an appropriate phrase, it was also darn expensive.
Ian Melville

gdbird

Post by gdbird » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:58 pm

KiCAD is free and easy to use or Eagle.

There are a lot of symbols available but you will probably have to take a bit of time to make some particular ones.
Graeme Bird