Mounting cameras

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

jamespearce

Mounting cameras

Post by jamespearce » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:16 pm

I have been designing, prototyping and bench testing an anti vibration mount over several months with a view to mount it externally on my aircraft. The engine and propellers vibration is transmitted to the airframe and results in the "jello effect" of the recorded video because of the CMOS type sensors of modern cameras which scan line by line, called a rolling shutter, top to bottom. This is what causes scimitar shaped propellers as well.
I have read the CAA's CAP1369 and the LAA's TL 3.24 and they are both common sense and clear publications. The 250 grams weight limit for the camera and its mountings is a tight spec to achieve with a GoPro weighing in at 140 grams from the get go. I wonder if the retaining lanyard is considered part of the weigh in? (it's that tight !). Thanks for any advice, James.

Brian Hope

Re: Mounting cameras

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi James, if you envisage being close to the 250 gram limit but not within it, why not have a word with LAA Engineering to see how best to deal with that. You may be being unnecessarily concerned.
Rgds, Brian

jamespearce

Re: Mounting cameras

Post by jamespearce » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks Brian, maybe that's what I'll do. It's a bit like designing a Formula 1 car where having a limit to butt up to concentrates the thinking. My first prototype was nearly a kilogram but it proved the concept and subsequent efforts have become lighter. I'm very nearly at the 250 gram mark so I'll persevere with the challenge for the moment. James.