Radio (and Transponder) replacement.

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Rob Swain

Radio (and Transponder) replacement.

Post by Rob Swain » Wed May 03, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm going to replace my aircraft's com radio to comply with the new sky we are getting next year.

Seeing as the best option seems to be the Trig TY91 and that will involve rejigging the whole stack I will change the transponder to the Trig TT21 at the same time. Given the number of radio and transponder bundle deals available there must be quite a number of people doing the double.

I've worked out the design of the new panel, decided on options I want, created the necessary wiring harnesses - the whole 9 yards. Easy!

I'm now looking at what I need to do from a LAA mod and CAA / Ofcom regulatory point of view.
Confused? That's far too small a word for it.

I think I need to follow the TL3.03 leaflet, fill in a MOD 7 form and then a FT-RADIO report, but it all reads like it's for a completely new aircraft, not a change to an existing one.
Can anybody advise if I am on the right track?

The more I read the more I think I might put all this off until the autumn as the scope for rendering my aircraft non-airworthy (or at least non-radio and non-txp) for half the flying season seems quite high.

So, as an open suggestion to Brian Hope, the illustrious editor of our association's organ...

Given the approach of the 8.33khz deadline and the number of people 'Mode S / ADS-B'ing at the same time can we have an article on what's required to keep our aircraft avionic fits legal through such changes.

I guess an article on the technical / hardware options could be welcome as well.

It might also be useful to either reprint the article from May 2013 or a new one on how to actually use an 8.33khz capable radio, especially in this time when an increasing number of radios are 8.33khz capable but we still have the old 25khz sky above us. :lol:
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.