Silicone Hoses Rotax 582

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Paul Stares

Silicone Hoses Rotax 582

Post by Paul Stares » Wed May 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi,
Brand new to the forum, so apologies if this is in the wrong place.
I am replacing the old 532 on my Shadow Streak with a brand new 582. The old hoses wont be going back on the new engine. New rotax coolant hoses come in at £215 and it caused me to look at the Silicone hoses that are available. I would like to know if silicone hoses are a permitted replacement for the genuine rotax items?

Many thanks

Paul

Chris Martyr

Re: Silicone Hoses Rotax 582

Post by Chris Martyr » Fri May 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi Paul,
I don't actually fly behind a Rotax [or in front of one like you do] But I have seen guys at my strip using silicone hose with different types of Rotax engine.
The quality of merchandise from race car suppliers like Demon Tweeks with this type of hardware is at least as good as anything with Rotax written on it.
So if your Inspector is happy [and that's the defining bit] then go ahead and do it. Don't forget we're talking PtF types here and the emphasis is more on common sense and good judgement , rather than in CAMO world where the emphasis is more aimed JAA Form1's and reams of Release Notes.

I know what I would do... :wink:

Landsurfer

Re: Silicone Hoses Rotax 582

Post by Landsurfer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:04 pm

The motor sport hoses supplied by Demon Tweeks are just that ... motorsport quality .... well actually "Vanity motorsport" quality .... sold for the hot hatch brigade and this reflected in the quality and price ... So many variables, 3 ply, 4 ply, Polyester down or up, Fluro-carbon lined for fuel and oils (essential)..... it's not so simple.
Drop me a line via PM on here or [email protected].
Silicone hoses are so variable, we supply everything from hot water hoses to flame retardant coolant and fuel versions.
This is not a marketing pitch, i have worked with engineers in the LAA world that had and have genuine worries about the quality of hoses used in our applications ....

David Whiteside
Engineering Director

http://www.abhoses.com
David Whiteside.
Hold my reins please, while i get down off my high horse !!!!