Is installing a CO detector a mod?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

dperalta

Is installing a CO detector a mod?

Post by dperalta » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:28 am

Hi, having read the TL3.xx leaflets I'm no wiser on whether installing additional non-transmitting avionics such as an electronic carbon monoxide detector is considered a mod and needs LAA approval.

I'm specifically looking at either the Guardian or FDS remote mount units that can be linked to a spare RS232 port on my G3X Touch for on-screen alerts. Next project after that will be FLARM/ADSB-in traffic info with a box such as Power-Flarm.

TL3.03 seems to say that avionics changes are not considered mods, and that only transmitting devices need notifying to the LAA, so does that mean no approval is required for items such as this that just need power, connection to a spare port, and mounting on a convenient space behind the panel?
David Peralta

PaulSS

Re: Is installing a CO detector a mod?

Post by PaulSS » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:47 am

Next project after that will be FLARM/ADSB-in traffic info with a box such as Power-Flarm.
Although I don't even own an aircraft (yet) I've done a fair bit of research on this and would recommend you take a look (if you haven't already done so) at the Pilot Aware kit. Using a simple USB 'converter' the data from the Pilot Aware can be run to an EFIS (certainly MGL and Dynon) so you can get the traffic information, including ADSB, on your screen. Following their recent agreement with the Open Glider Network to re-transmit OGN information, you'll also be able to see the Flarm and OGN aircraft on your EFIS. My Pilot Aware unit is still in its box but I will be incorporating it into my EFIS once I get the machine in which to put it :D

Sorry I can't provide a useful answer to your actual question.
Paul Simmonds-Short

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:06 pm

David ,
Don't go looking too deeply into this . If you can't find any Tech Leaflets into the matter , then there could be a reason for it.. :D
It's a bit like an 'is my engine turning' indicator [tach/RPM] As long as there is something that tells you it is , then that's all that matters.
Make sure that you back it up with one of those little stick-on things that flying clubs have used since the year dot though... :wink:

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:25 am

Dave,

Are you overcomplicating the CO monitor?
I have a small, standalone, device that sits in a the door pocket. Sealed battery that lasts 10 years and it gives off a loud noise when tested. Easily heard when flying in a relatively noisy vintage aeroplane.
I think it cost me £15 !

Tony
Tony Nowak

C Rule

Post by C Rule » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:44 pm

I agree with Tony
We use a similar device velcroed to a bulkhead . It appears to work well but does need some vibration damping for the mount as the first one failed after 3 years use. Still at £15 it still very cost effective.
Colin
Colin Rule

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:09 pm

Agree with the above. Mine is a B&Q item stuck to the parcel shelf with Blu Tak.
It screams loudly when tested, it's been there five years, flashes a green light every few seconds to indicate it is still alive.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:57 pm

Trevor Harvey wrote:Agree with the above. Mine is a B&Q item stuck to the parcel shelf with Blu Tak.
It screams loudly when tested, it's been there five years, flashes a green light every few seconds to indicate it is still alive.
Another agreement here.

However...

I have a modern domestic one that takes 2 x AA batteries.
Virtually the same design as the 2x built in battery ones I have at home.

This is good as if you have a CO alarm situation (and I have - gasket failure) you can take the battery out!
Trying to fly / concentrate / communicate with the alarm going is very difficult.

The alarm sounds periodically when the batteries are going flat - guess how I know - and I test it every flight to be doubly sure it is working. This is another advantage of AA power - you don't worry about killing the battery by testing it 'too much'.

I believe the detector gubbins may have a 7 year 'life' - hence the life of the built in battery ones. I have written an 'expiry date' on mine to address this issue.

BTW - A very good friend's brother died of CO poisoning so I am not just playing devil's advocate at this!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Mine is the same, AA batteries. Sticking it down with Blu Tak on the battery cover was not my best idea.
It can slip off the battery cover during my sub optimal landings!