Restoration of an airframe ...

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Landsurfer

Restoration of an airframe ...

Post by Landsurfer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:22 pm

I am in possession of a complete Evans VP1 airframe.
From PFA / LAA records it appears to be of 1982 build.
It last flew in the late 90's.
There are PFA annual rally stickers on the fuselage, lots of them ...
My initial inspection ( Aircraft Engineer, possibly the last of the Licence without type A & C brigade ) is totally pointless as all my time has been on stressed skin, fast stuff.
And Trains....
The airframe and ancillaries look to be sound. To me.
Do i use it as a pattern and for guidance, or restore it to flight status.
Is there a VP1 experienced inspector willing to come and give an opinion?
New to the LAA so your thoughts are welcome.
The airframe is in Chesterfield.

My gut feeling is .. if the glue is good ...fly it !

Built a Clutton Series 2 in the mid 80's, finished it, so have a feel for the glue issue.
David Whiteside.
Hold my reins please, while i get down off my high horse !!!!

Brian Hope

Re: Restoration of an airframe ...

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:19 am

Hi Dave, there are many wooden airframes much older than your VP1, and some of them using older types of glue, so provided it has been well stored, and your not inexpert eye believes it is probably OK, means it probably is OK. There are plenty of LAA inspectors with knowledge of wooden structures so seek one out who is local to come and have a look at it. Then get the old girl running and have some fun in her.
Chris Martyr is s regular poster here who flies a VP, he no doubt will be able to offer some words of encouragement and wisdom.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing another older, low cost PFA type back in the air.
Rgds, Brian

JohnLindsay

Post by JohnLindsay » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:32 am

David,

The Notes to PFA Aircraft Inspectors (SPARS) of September 2000 for the VP-1 list Inspector Peter Sturgeon of Mildenhall in Suffolk as a Source of Information on the VP-1 (and VP-2). I believe that Peter has built two VP-1s in his time. He features in the current list of inspectors and might be worth a telephone call, if not to organise a visit to Chesterfield, at least to chat to about the areas of the VP-1 worth scrutinising most closely.

As Brian suggests, Chris Martyr would certainly be a good man to talk to as well. Sussex based, he built the VP-1 that he regularly flies and he too is a ticketed aircraft engineer working for a large and popular airline.

The VP-1 is a delightfully simple aircraft and, I agree, if the glue is indeed good then go ahead and fly it!

John.

Landsurfer

Post by Landsurfer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks for the advice and comments gents.
I have already started the follow up process.
The search for an engine for rebuild continues.
1600 twin port as a base.
I have decided to go down the Leburg route.
(So have 2 lovely SR4 mags for sale)
Anybody got a spare port wing for sale ? :)
David Whiteside.
Hold my reins please, while i get down off my high horse !!!!

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:09 pm

Golly , how embarrassing ! Mentioned on here by two separate contributors and taken over two weeks to reply.. :oops:
David , I take it that you can trace the aircraft history and if the inside of the fus. has been varnished and there are no musty/damp type of smells coming from it , then in all likelihood it is perfectly serviceable and OK for continued use. It's highly likely that the glue used was Aerolite-306 or Aerodux , in which case it should all be fine.
Re: the LH wing. I take it that yours has been damaged ? Don't forget that if you acquire one that has sat gathering dust somewhere , it may be just as bad as the one it's replacing. If you are in a position to re-use the control cables , turnbuckles , metal fittings and pulleys [all 2 of 'em :D ] then it might be just as easy to fabricate a complete replacement. It only needs two 3/4" spruce planks 11ft long and a sheet of 1/4" marine ply from which to cut the ribs . I can copy off the relevant drawing if you wish.

Again , apologies for late reply. You should have put the word 'VP-1' in your title and I would have probably clocked it. Excuse is , I've been working away this week..
Don't let up . Even if you get a fraction of the fun I've had with G-EVPI , it will have been worth it.. :D

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:26 pm

And you've also got a PM David... :D