Snap vent vs vista vent

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

oprince

Snap vent vs vista vent

Post by oprince » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:12 am

Apologies if this has already been discussed. I did try to search for it.

I am hoping to install some vents in the perpex windows of my Jodel soon. I am considering both snap vent and Vista-vent from LAS.

I was going to heat up the perspex with a fan heater, tape it with masking tape and drill very slowly with a forstner drill bit.

Any advice on vent type or others to consider? Any advice on drilling the holes?

Many thanks.
Oliver Prince

Harry Hopkins

Re: Snap vent vs vista vent

Post by Harry Hopkins » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:14 pm

Oliver,

I have no idea how large a hole you need to drill but perspex drills have zero rake on their cutting edges. Step drills are perfect if they go up to the size you need.

Alternatively stone a flat on the cutting edges of a regular drill.

Best wishes and happy drilling,

Harry

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:57 am

Hi Oliver, I put Vista vents in my Jodel windscreen many years ago. They are great for directing a blast of air onto you. I fitted them low in the corners of the screen.
This time of year you don't really need to warm the Perspex, I'm assuming you live in the UK. The hole for vista vents is quite large, about 4 inches diameter, and I taped the area with masking tape and marked it out, then used a hand grinder to grind through the Perspex well inside the line, working out as the hole got larger. Then I cleaned up the edge of the hole with emery cloth. Make sure the screen is securely held so it can't start vibrating or shuddering. You can also get a special rotary file/cutter thingy that looks a bit like a drill bit, which you use in a power drill and move around the line to cut out the hole. Secret with all these things is to make sure the screen can't start juddering due to the cutting action - I cut my holes with the screen still in the aircraft so it was firmly held.
If you do use drill bits, don't use new sharp ones, drill a few bits of steel to dull them a little, they will not tend to grab then, or do as Harry suggests and buy special Perspex drilling bits. For smallish holes, say a quarter inch, it is better to drill the hole a quarter inch than say use an eighth and then open it out. Clearly there's a limit to how big you can go with this.
Good luck with the vents, they are really worth the effort in fitting them.
Brian.

oprince

Post by oprince » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Thanks for the info and explaining your method Brian.

I thought the vista vent was a 2 1/4 inch hole. (https://www.lasaero.com/site/products/a ... =l039ldlqd)

Are there other varieties and sizes?

Oliver
Oliver Prince

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:17 am

Hi Oliver, checked and mine were CC3251 Snapvents, which are 3.25 inches diameter. I think they pass a fair bit more air than the vistavent. Aircraft Spruce sell them for $17.75 for a pair.

oprince

Post by oprince » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Thanks. Have been looking at these two. Trying to decide on which to go for. Think the vista will be easier for me to fit on my own with minimal kit but may not allow in as much air.
Oliver Prince

gregorp

Post by gregorp » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi,
When I had to cut holes for vents in Perspex for my EuroFOX doors, I used one of the adjustable hole cutters available from B&Q very successfully. It's the sort with a centre spindle and an adjustable L-shape bar with cutter (about £4). I used a VERY slow battery drill to power it. Did 2 aircraft (4holes) no problems at all. Practice on some scrap plastic first.
Hope this helps.
Pete Gregory

oprince

Post by oprince » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks. Which vents did you use?
Oliver Prince

gregorp

Post by gregorp » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:18 am

Sorry for slow reply.
I used the ones which came with the EuroFOX kit - they appear to be Snapvents or similar.
Pete Gregory