Dual P-Mag Reliability

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Tobro202

Dual P-Mag Reliability

Post by Tobro202 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:01 am

I have recently imported an RV8 from mainland Europe and am currently engaged in the transition process to bring it on to the UK register. With an IO360 Lycoming fitted, the aircraft is currently running with dual P-mag ignition and, if the prospect of retrofitting at least one conventional magneto is to be avoided, I will need to put forward a good case for reliability with the transition application.

Does anyone have information please, regarding previous LAA approval of dual electronic ignition systems particularly P-mag?
Also, does anyone have any information please regarding previous documented failures of dual P-mag systems?

Many thanks in advance,
Tony B
Tony Brown

mike newall

Re: Dual P-Mag Reliability

Post by mike newall » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:45 am

Dual P-Mags are fitted on several aeroplanes currently. LAA know about them. Make sure the firmware is up to date - just email or call Brad with your serial numbers.

Ours have been on our RV7 since 2010, they had a firmware update around 2012, after that - nothing. We re time them once a year which takes around 3 minutes, you will not have any issues at all.

Not sure what plugs you are running, but you may wish to take this opportunity to swap to NGK Platinum plugs with auto leads top and bottom. We run NGK BR9EIX with 1 mag firing top set, one firing bottom set. Plug replacement at the annual because they are cheap.

Better starting, hot or cold, better fuel consumption, easier ongoing maintenance and cheaper consumables.

Tobro202

Post by Tobro202 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:11 pm

All very valuable information Mike; many thanks. Firmware should be up to date as the aircraft was built in 2013/14. I will take a closer look at the plugs.. :)
Tony Brown

Gavin Bell

Post by Gavin Bell » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:59 pm

If they're being used by tight Northerners they must be good ;-) :P

P5151

Post by P5151 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:50 pm

If you check the LAA mods pages you will find lots of RV s have one or two P Mags. Up to about 18 months ago they were still insisting an a prototype mod application despite this.

Do not assume that the latest soft wear is in there, check, assumption is the mother of all ....... Ups!

The latest version dealt with a couple if issues which could potentially have lead to an inflight failure so it's a must have! Also check which advance curve you are running on the mags as too aggressive a curve can cause higher temps than you want and rob you of a bit of power.

I have also fitted an EI commander, to my 4 which allows you to check several different things before flight, timing divergence, plug and lead health to name but two.

Bill Reppuci in the states makes these and he is a great source of information on P mags.
Steve Arnold

johnmichie

Post by johnmichie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:51 pm

It also depends on the prop if metal (and possibly composite). The LAA will insist that the manufacturer has approved it for use with electronic ignition. A wooden prop is no problem.

John