Tachometer for Leburg

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ripley

Tachometer for Leburg

Post by Ripley » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Anyone tell what type / model/ manufacture of tachometer they have used for Leburg , looks to me like it should be the same as the one used for rotax with Ducati ignition ????? RIP.
Robert Ripley

JohnLindsay

Re: Tachometer for Leburg

Post by JohnLindsay » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi Robert,

In the Leburg Honda Alternator thread, Chris Martyr suggests the Falcon T22-U-2R.

You could also use a Westach 2AT5-2. The elderly one that came with my Peacock SR4 magneto setup worked perfectly with Leburg until the needle began physically to stick.

Another approach, of possible interest also to Jim Crawford from the Honda Alternator thread, is to pick up an old electronic rev counter from a 1960s/1970s sports car of your choice and convert it using a Analogue Tachometer Driver Module from SPIYDA DESIGN (https://www.spiyda.com/magento/index.ph ... onics.html). The module needed an additional 1K resistor to get it to trigger off the Leburg - I can provide details if required but Chris at SPIYDA is most helpful. The only downside I have experienced with this unit is that the calibration tends to drift 5-10% over time and the small potentiometer needs to be adjusted occasionally. The drift might actually be a temperature issue.

Finally, if you want high accuracy and are happy with a digital readout, try the Tiny Tach tachometer (http://www.tinytachuk.com/). Powered by an internal button cell, it is triggered very simply by a sensor wire wrapped 2 or 3 times around a plug lead. Getting the number of turns right requires a couple of attempts but is not a problem. I use this as my main tacho and in 6 years it has never let me down.

Good luck!

John.

Ripley

Re: Tachometer for Leburg

Post by Ripley » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:24 am

Thank you everyone , I have more ammunition to keep trying and if all else fails as you say the "tiny tac" is always a good alternative and cheaper than keep buying different expensive tachometer's . Thanks for now. RiP
Robert Ripley