Tyre Creep marks

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Tony Harrison-Smith

Tyre Creep marks

Post by Tony Harrison-Smith » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:28 pm

What paint is best for marking the tyres with creep marks? I used Humbrol paints before, but they need repainting every 6 months or so as it rubs off the rubber.

Tony

Sandy Hutton

Tyre creep marks?

Post by Sandy Hutton » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:55 pm

Such a chore; every 6 months eh? It's supposed to be a joy, working on your own aeroplane Tony. :lol:

SteveB

Post by SteveB » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:02 am

Try your local car accessory shop? There are paint marker pens made specifically for boy racers to tart up their tyres! Available in a range of colours. Not sure if it will outlast your Humbrol, but it's more convenient to touch up!

Tony Harrison-Smith

Post by Tony Harrison-Smith » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:06 pm

Thanks for the replies, no 6 months is not a chore, but I was surprised at how quick the marks rub off. Too impatient again! :P

Thanks for the tip on the paint sticks, I will try them.

Tony

Sandy Hutton

Post by Sandy Hutton » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:02 pm

We used to use the same Cellulose White paint decanted into a little bottle which we had for touching up after corrosion treatment around rivet heads.

I'll also give you points for actually having creep marks Tony, many don't bother. :wink:

Tony Tyrwhitt-Drake

Post by Tony Tyrwhitt-Drake » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:17 pm

I use white wall tyre paint - it comes in a sort of pen thingy. :shock: You need to make sure that the tyre and wheel are very clean before you put it on. Brake cleaner sold in aerosols cleans well and leaves no residue. Mine lasts several years (so far).

Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:43 am

I have used car type celulose based touch up paint - you've probably got a box full in your shed. This has lasted at least 3 years on my Monplane project although the tyres have exactly 0 landings and 0 miles taxying on them!

Tony Harrison-Smith

Post by Tony Harrison-Smith » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:45 pm

Thanks for all the ideas.

Tony

Gary Hancox

Post by Gary Hancox » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:21 pm

Finally made it to the bullentin board! Anyway, i was going to suggest using vinyl / rubber paint, i.e. the stuff they use for painting on inflatable boats etc. We used it on my parents little inflatable boat and the paint is water and weather resistant. Has been on there 4+ years and is as good as new.

Cheers

Gary