LAA Maintenance/Build Courses

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian Melville

LAA Maintenance/Build Courses

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:23 pm

Is there any news on the LAA maintenance/build courses ?

I was hoping there was going to be some more info in the latest Light Aviation. Last months gave an indication that there were at least two that were near to being announced.

I am keen to do the sheet metal course and possibly some others.

Ian Melville

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:57 am

Hi Ian, there are plans to hold an initial six corses, one per month throughout the winter, starting from November. The first one will in fact be the metalworking course. As these will be practical courses, spaces will be limited so it will be important to book early. Details in the next issue of Light Aviation (October).

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:26 pm

Thanks Brian
Any hint as to where?

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:46 am

Hi Ian, it will be in the Turweston area.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:44 pm

Great, No hotel bills for me :D

Thanks Brian

pillpoppinpilot

Post by pillpoppinpilot » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:29 pm

Ian, send Penny an e-mail at the office to register your interest. That way you shouldn't get left out as I think these courses ill be popular.

Tony

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Tony.

I have registered general interest, but doing it again with specific courses would be a good idea

Cheers
Ian Melville

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:39 pm

Brian,
Any comment on what other courses are soon to be available. I am interested in the ones that will get me started on a project.

Cheers
Ian melville

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:17 am

Details on booking the fisrst course (metalwork) will be in the magazine and it will be first come first served. You cannot book until the mag is out.
Other courses underway are Composite Construction and Permit Annual Inspection. Also in the pipeline but not yet finalised are Woodwork, Fabriv Covering, and if we can resoleve H&S issues, Spray Painting. By the November issue I hope we can announce full details of these five other courses.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:00 pm

When I get my membership copy of the magazine in the post (I usually seem to get it pretty quickly) I will ask the office to put the details up on the website, that way everybody should have the information at about the same time.
The first six courses are a taster to see how much demand we get from the membership. I hope the demand is strong, if it is we will move ahead with more courses. There is every likelyhood that we will look at venues away from Turweston for some of the courses but we are taking it one step at a time to start with.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:27 pm

Thanks Brian, that does seem the fairest option

Cheers
Ian

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:29 pm

I tried to get on the first (metalwork) course by ringing at lunchtime on the monday it was advertised, by which time it was fully booked. I just got offered a place on an additional course at the end of November which of course I jumped at.

Am grateful to Brian and others involved for starting this initiative. I'm guessing that the apparently high takeup is indicative of the requirement amongst the membership for such hands-on training.

I hope that other subjects become available soon.

Thanks

Colin

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:58 pm

Hi Colin, pleased to hear you managed to get a place. There are now four courses filled for November, and we have scheduled another for February, details of which will appear in the next magazine.
Also in the next mag will be details of courses on Aircraft Electrics, Aircraft Woodwork, and Working with Composites. If a number of other subjects are finalised early enough they too will be included. All courses are intended to be 'hands on' to give the participants the opportunity of working with the tools and materials.
Naturally we are very pleased with the response to the first course and hopeful that other courses will also be well received.
We are presently engaged in arranging to refurbish a large porter cabin at Turweston as a temporary LAA workshop, the plan being to have that completed before the end of October. The weekend of 25/26 October is earmarked for the major push on that, so if you have any DIY skills and are looking for something to do that weekend then we'd be delighted to see you. Give me a ring on 07949 650847 if you can help.
Eventually we would hope to have an Educational workshop facility as part of a new HQ building, but that is for some time in the future.
By all means send me your ideas for possible courses, and if there is sufficient interest in something we haven't yet considered, then we'll seriousely look into arranging something.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:08 pm

By the time I got my LAA mag both of the initial courses had been over subscribed. Just spoke to Penny? today and have got a place on the 30th Nov.

If that's the same Is yours Colin, I see you there

Cheers
Ian Melville