Avmap ULTRA EFIS calibration

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Flying John

Avmap ULTRA EFIS calibration

Post by Flying John » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Has anyone else bought the Avmap ULTRA EFIS and managed to calibrate the magnetometer used for the compass display.

The set up takes you through the major compass headings and seems to do something at each press of the button but at the end it says Invalid data.

Just wondered if it was an issue others had seen.
John Luck

mikehallam

Re: Avmap ULTRA EFIS calibration

Post by mikehallam » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:18 pm

I bought one a year ago.

It seems to set up O.K. but I agree it's a tedious task aligning the a/c on four headings, tail up for 'level' flight, in the correct sequence as well !
I've had to re-do it several times due to unconnected problems and so far so good. I suggest you read the manual (on line is the latest) and follow it diligently. Otherwise if a real fault your supplier ?
(Mendelssohn were very good to me).

Has your model got the newer free programme update to allow you to reset the inbuilt 'barometer' for the correct internal reference altitude - over and above the QNH setting ?

mike hallam.

Flying John

Post by Flying John » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks Mike - yes it has the internal re-cal as well as 2 serial NMEA output ports for ADSB or Autopilot.

I'm going to have another try tomorow, to see If I can perform it "as per the book", but am pretty sure I followed it the fist time.

GPS fix, Wait 5 mins for warm up, flying attitude, then press the button for 6 seconds then follow what it says on the screen. Only change I am going to make is to remove the traditional compass in-case that is affecting it.
John Luck

Basil

Post by Basil » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Once you calibrate the compass it displays heading instead of track and I've never found out how to revert to track. As I find track more useful than heading, I leave my compass uncalibrated.
Basil Fairston

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:40 pm

I think that comes up on the Nav page, but I'm not at the 'plane and too idle to look in the manual to be sure.
Generally it displays loads of information and for the price & ease of installation, with no complicated harness all plugs etc provided with remote GPS aerial I think it's excellent.

mike hallam.