Continental C series crankcase modification

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

biggles120

Continental C series crankcase modification

Post by biggles120 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:20 pm

I've recently had the joy of a cracked centre crank journal in a C85 crankcase. Having sourced a possible replacement case I am looking at the modification to replace the central studs with straight through bolts. Its a mod thats required for IF1 air racing with the C series engine.

My question is, has anyone had experieince of carrying out this modification or knows of establishments within the UK that can carry out the work.
Paul Espin

tnowak

Re: Continental C series crankcase modification

Post by tnowak » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:51 am

Paul,

A friend of mine has recently experienced a cracked C90 crankcase.

There is no known company in the UK that can do that mod.
You could try contacting Divco in the USA for advice as they do crankcase repairs and probably know about the mod.
Tony
Tony Nowak

longman

Post by longman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:31 am

I would think it's not difficult to do provided you can obtain the design drawings. Any old school engineering machine shop could do it, mine included. :)
Phil Trangmar

biggles120

Post by biggles120 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:06 am

longman wrote:I would think it's not difficult to do provided you can obtain the design drawings. Any old school engineering machine shop could do it, mine included. :)
Phil, That's what I was expecting..

you can obtain all the required information here.. http://www.if1airracing.com/images/Docu ... ev2011.pdf

Would be interested in your thoughts. :D
Paul Espin