Paint - Fabric and Fibreglass

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

WBerry

Paint - Fabric and Fibreglass

Post by WBerry » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi,
Hope this is an easy quick one for you all. Two questions:

1) I have patches of flaking paintwork on my Jodel fabric. For the purposes of touching up, is automotive spray suitable?

2) More seriously I think, I have a fibreglass replacement cowling that wants painting. I was thinking a colour match of automotive paint on top, but what do I undercoat it with, how many layers, etc?

All help appreciated.
William Berry

tnowak

Re: Paint - Fabric and Fibreglass

Post by tnowak » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:30 am

Hi William,

Acrylic based automotive paint (from Halfords for example) isn't really suitable. You should try and use the same paint/dope as was used originally. Any idea what your fabric covering material/covering scheme is?

An automotive paint supplier should be able to make up colour matched cellulose spray cans. That may be okay for small fabric touch up jobs and cellulose would be better than acrylic.

Regarding your fibreglass cowling - colour matched cellulose and compatible primer/undercoat. An automotive paint supplier should be able to help.

If I was doing the job I would lightly rub down/sand the cowling first, spray one or two primer/undercoat coats and then followed by one or two coats of topcoat.
Hope this helps.
Tony
Tony Nowak

WBerry

Re: Paint - Fabric and Fibreglass

Post by WBerry » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Yeah, thanks lots.
William Berry