Variable pitch hub

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Spackrackman

Variable pitch hub

Post by Spackrackman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:58 am

An Italian pal of mine is involved in a company selling variable pitch hubs

http://www.porcelli-propellers.it/en/?lang=en

What is the procedure here in the UK if I wanted to fit one to my LAA aircraft? Would it need to go through testing etc? (I assume it will)

Is there a list of already approved variable pitch systems for LAA aircraft?

Thanks
Jonnie
Jonathan Chapman

Spackrackman

Re: Variable pitch hub

Post by Spackrackman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:08 am

Well I searched some old threads and as I expected its not a simple task, is there a list of variable hubs that have been accepted and tested by the LAA?

anyone?

jonnie
Jonathan Chapman

AlanR

Re: Variable pitch hub

Post by AlanR » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:58 pm

Johnnie,
What you are looking for to my knowledge doesn't exist.
For a new type to the UK of Propeller and Hub, VP or otherwise expect to go through the formal MOD process for approval for your aircraft. Personally I would strongly advise doing this before purchasing anything!
See under Aircraft & Technical on the LAA home page and look under Modifications which will show you the process you need to follow to get MOD approval.
Also I suggest you look on the main LAA home page under 'Aircraft &Technical' and scroll down to 'Data library' and you will see propeller type list PTL/1 which will eventually, if you follow it through the links, take you to all the aircraft/engine/propeller combinations that have been approved by the LAA in the past.

Alan.
Alan Radford