Fuselage Frame Fabric

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

John Austin

Fuselage Frame Fabric

Post by John Austin » Tue May 15, 2018 7:19 pm

Hello

I'm about to re-cover the fuselage frame of my Tipsy Nipper. I've been advised to use Stits Poly-Fiber. Does anybody have any experience of this? I can only find one supplier, Aircraft Coverings Ltd. in Somerset. Has anybody had any dealings with them? Any advice would be very welcome as this is a first for me.

John

coxargus

Re: Fuselage Frame Fabric

Post by coxargus » Tue May 15, 2018 9:27 pm

I have used the Stits Poly Fiber system for my Fairchild Argus restoration - easy to use with an idiot proof manual that needs to be followed to the letter and all will be well. Chris and his son Alex, who took over the business from Tony Young, are most approachable and helpful. They always answer queries willingly - give them a call 01963-363636 ( http://www.aircraftcoverings.co.uk/ias.asp )
Frank
Frank Cox

Leesr

Post by Leesr » Tue May 15, 2018 10:16 pm

I personally prefer Poly-Fiber because it is uses fewer coats than Randolph dope (so is quicker for the spraying coats), is completely inert after drying (so is fire-proof) and is very much more tolerant to humidity than dope. But I use both, according to customer's wishes.

The chaps at Henstridge are very helpful, as was Tony before them.
Rob Lees

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Fri May 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Take a look at Oratex 600. You won't be breathing toxic vapours, no painting required so no investment in spraying gear. It's also lighter and fuel resistant.
Robin are using it now certified on their wooden airframes.

TLAC in Norfolk are the UK agent and very helpful and can provide training.
Mark Albery

Sean McDonald

Post by Sean McDonald » Sat May 19, 2018 9:08 am

I've just covered a landing gear frame with Oratex never having tackled anything like this before. Turned out well and was pretty easy having taken my time. I'd be confident enough to do a fuselage having done it. Have no experience of other covering methods so can't comment on them but I would use Oratex again.

Basil

Post by Basil » Sat May 19, 2018 1:37 pm

+1 for Oratex.. Quite expensive but quick results and not bad for your health. Also lighter than other fabrics and easy to repair.
Basil Fairston