Spin on oil filter

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

CWilc

Spin on oil filter

Post by CWilc » Thu May 31, 2018 1:53 pm

Has anyone got details of how to fit a spin on filter to an 0 200 fitted to a Jodel?
Colin Wilcock
Colin Wilcock

Leesr

Re: Spin on oil filter

Post by Leesr » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:44 pm

I'm in the process of fitting a firewall-mounted remote oil filter to an 0-200 powered high-wing aircraft. It's a Wolf kit, available from the US. Fairly straightforward, but their instructions are a bit out-of-date and they may have sent a wrong AN fitting. I don't know the price, customer supplied it.

You would need to make your own hoses to connect between the existing oil filter housing on the accessory case and wherever you mount the filter.

If your engine mount and baffle clearances allow, there is a type that fits directly to the port side of the engine just ahead of the accessory case join. It replaces a little cast bypass fitting which is held on by three studs.

As a matter of interest, why are you considering a spin-on oil filter? Just curious.
Rob Lees

CWilc

Post by CWilc » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:27 pm

We only have a rock catcher fitted at the moment and, as the engine is on condition, we would like to make sure as little stuff goes through the engine as possible.
Colin Wilcock

Leesr

Post by Leesr » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:35 pm

CWilc wrote:We only have a rock catcher fitted at the moment and, as the engine is on condition, we would like to make sure as little stuff goes through the engine as possible.
My first thought is "too late now" :lol: if your engine hours are such.

However, it may not be a bad investment for that time that you do put in another engine...that's the time to put in spin-on filter, IMHO.

(My own aircraft has a C-85 [same design] new about 600 hours ago, but still with a rock catcher. If I was to do the same now, I'd fit a spin-on oil filter).

Rob
Rob Lees