Rans S6 Rudder

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

jaideld

Rans S6 Rudder

Post by jaideld » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:50 pm

Does anyone out there have a Mod on the Rans S6 rudder, to cause it to self centralize... I have heard some people have used bungee on the backs of the pedals fixed to the bulkhead, or springs attached to the rudder horns.
I would welcome any help with this matter...

Regards
Martin :D
Martin Lockett

Ian Melville

Re: Rans S6 Rudder

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:17 am

it's quite common for aircraft designs to have springs or bungees from the rudder pedals to the bulkhead. Normally only be enough to tension the cables, not to centralise the rudder.

Does the Rans S6 have a problem in this respect?
Ian Melville

jaideld

Post by jaideld » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:46 am

Hi
Yes there is a bungee from the pedals to the nose wheel but when in the air this is not effective .
What i find is that because the Rans has such a large rudder the prop wash affects the rudder a lot and you end up chasing the ball , the slightest amount of input in one direction then throws the ball to far the other way and you spend more time yawing the plane in and out of a turn , this is not good in the circuit and maybe why a lot of crashes on finals have been but down to over rudder control and spinning into the ground

Martin
Martin Lockett

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:05 am

If it's that bad the I would be asking the BMAA and or LAA for flight test reports to see if there is a comment on this matter. Also in the report for the G-MYES accident the LAA have a significant safety action point regarding handling, has this been done?

Strong centering springs would be a fudge, and should not be undertaken without approval.
Ian Melville