Paintwork blisters on fuel tanks

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

jamespearce

Paintwork blisters on fuel tanks

Post by jamespearce » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Blisters (10mm to 25mm diameter) have been appearing for the last couple of years on the top surface of my Foxbats fuel tanks and I have been dealing with them by scraping them off and locally repainting. The Aeroprakt agent thinks it's the result of porous tanks. There is clearly a leaching through the composite tank structure that is causing a reaction and producing these blisters. I have looked at several forums, including motorbike forums where the same problem is experienced and there is no definitive answer. I don't want to use a sloshing agent as I have no confidence it won't breakdown and cause contamination of the fuel filters. Does any member have any intelligence on a surface coating that will protect against such blistering ?

tnowak

Re: Paintwork blisters on fuel tanks

Post by tnowak » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:08 am

James,

Take a look at PR1750 FUEL TANK SEALANT, available from LAS. I have used this to seal very minor weeps on the external surface of my metal fuel tanks, so see no reason why it wouldn't work on a composite tank

Tony
Tony Nowak

jamespearce

Re: Paintwork blisters on fuel tanks

Post by jamespearce » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks Tony. I'll speak to LAA Engineering to see if they have a view on the product.