Sherwood Ranger kit build

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

bryan5373

Sherwood Ranger kit build

Post by bryan5373 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:10 am

Hi I am contemplating buying a Sherwood Ranger kit and was wondered if anyone has any experience of building one. I would particularly like to know how long it will take and if there are any problems or difficulties. I am not a seasoned builder just basic hand working skills.

Any pointers, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Bryan
Bryan Plunkett

Chris Martyr

Re: Sherwood Ranger kit build

Post by Chris Martyr » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:26 am

Hey Bryan,
I think you'll find that Paul Hendry-Smith is the guy to talk to . He not only is the mainstay at The Light Aircraft Co. but also contributes on here.
I've never had the pleasure of meeting Paul , but he comes across as a very affable and down to earth chap .
The TLAC Sherwood Ranger looks like a superb little aeroplane and if I were to build another aeroplane, something of the TLAC range would be right up there at the top of the list.

My next question is ; How close are you to Sywell ????
Coz you know what's happening this weekend don't you mate,, :D
And after that , there is no hope,,,,,,,you'll be hooked !!.. :D :D

bryan5373

Post by bryan5373 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:12 pm

Thanks Chris, yes I will be attending that's what I am afraid of! :shock: might finish up signing the next 2 years of my life away. :D

Bryan
Bryan Plunkett

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:40 pm

2 years,,,,,,,,,,,???????????????? :D

No, no , no , no , no .. :D :D

That high performing , super sleek, sex-machine in the top RH side of the page took 7 years to build.... [ Ok,,it was from drawings and I had to fabricate literally everything myself ]

But I've now been flying her for 14yrs , plus lots of kisses , hugs [ a few tears] maintenance , improvements,,,,,,,,,,,it is a never ending , but enjoyable [ in a perverted sort of way ] kind of process .

You'll love every second of it ! I guarantee it !... :D

[Just remember to keep the missus away from these type of forums though.. :lol: ..]

cirrusvfr

Post by cirrusvfr » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:03 pm

Lots of info about the Ranger building and flying from this guy and his blog....going back to 2012

https://dsbreflex.com/about/
Phil Laycock