Sonic Landing Sensor

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Trevor Lyons

Sonic Landing Sensor

Post by Trevor Lyons » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:53 pm

I heard today of a flyer who fixed to his aircraft a reverse parking sensor (aka rear warning system). Instead of being fitted to a car's rear bumper, this device was attached to the aircraft's main gear, pointing down. Then, when switched on, it would tell you when your wheels were within three feet of touching down. The closer you got, the more it beeped! Apparently the pilot found that it helped him to improve his landings.

One wonders whether this alarm might be confused with a stall warner; but assuming this is not a problem, this device seems rather a good idea, especially as these items are less than £30 on eBay!

Has anyone else done something like this?

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:55 pm

it will a lot more expensive if it fails :?

I would prefer to learn to land properly in the first place. without relying on gadgets.Oh and I can park without one as well :D

Trevor Lyons

Post by Trevor Lyons » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:49 pm

Ian Melville wrote:it will a lot more expensive if it fails: I would prefer to learn to land properly in the first place. without relying on gadgets.
You could say the same about stall warners; but that doesn't stop them from being helpful.
Last edited by Trevor Lyons on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malcolm frost

Post by malcolm frost » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:49 pm

Has anyone else done something like this?
Boeing :D
It still doesn't help :D