Low-Hours Propeller Inspection Protocol

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ian herdis

Low-Hours Propeller Inspection Protocol

Post by ian herdis » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:09 pm

I was pleased to see the announcement on LPIP it’s great to see some common sense being applied our generally lightly used aircraft. As the owner of a McCauley 3 blade CS prop with only seven hours on it I did not rellesh forking out for a full overhaul.

So I was wondering if anyone had went through the inspection process yet and could offer some feedback on the process. Company used, cost involved etc.

It may be too early for much feedback to be available yet so if you are going to have your prop inspected perhaps you could post after the work is done.

Thanks. Ian

mike newall

Re: Low-Hours Propeller Inspection Protocol

Post by mike newall » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:32 pm

We had our MT 3 blade c/s prop done under scheme by Brinkley Propeller end of last year and were very pleased with the service. Came in at around £1200, they replaced the seals, most of the balls and some nuts with surface corrosion.

I know they do McCauley however, brace yourself because in discussion, they say that they have the worst experiences with internal corrosion with them.

Worth a call though.

As an alternative, drop Ali Mant a line at Proptech in Lee on Solent, he is very pro LAA and a super helpful chap

ian herdis

Post by ian herdis » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi. Mike

Thanks for posting. Great to have some real world experience.

Ian

Aureliaman

Post by Aureliaman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys!
My prop a 2 x blade C/S McCauley is currently at Brinkleys because it's 'out of hours' with only 42 hours logged in the last 6 years!! I will report back as soon as I've had their report and estimate for the overhaul!
By the way my aircraft is a 1964 Beagle Airedale 109
Mike :roll:
Michael Wilson

ian herdis

Post by ian herdis » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:28 pm

I have had my LPIP carried out and am pleased to report all went well.

I discussed the inspection with a couple of companies who both quoted the same price
I decided to go with Brinkley’s as they were happy to have me in the workshop during the tear down and inspection. The engineer who done the work was great and I learned a lot and got some good tips for annual maintenance.