Engineering work

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Terry Lee

Engineering work

Post by Terry Lee » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:23 am

Has anyone here used Gosnay's for such things as valve guide replacement, valve and valve seat grinding etc on their Gipsy?

If so I would appreciate any feedback,

Thanks.

Mark Miller

Re: Engineering work

Post by Mark Miller » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:38 pm

In 1992 they line bored for me the white metal main bearings of a Cirrus Minor - an excellent job and still in service. Ditto another Cirrus in 2016, this time the big ends as well. Flawless work again and very reasonably priced.

However, I had done all the work of creating a correct config of engine mod states, set up of nips, torques, stretch tightening, definition of dimensions, etc. Gosnays have no aero engine data or ability to source parts.

Also note that Mr Wilkes was rightly very cautious about exposing his business to aviation liabilities. I had to table copies of my AMEL and LAA Inspector's card, and write a letter acknowledging that responsibility for the safety of the end product was all mine.

Terry Lee

Post by Terry Lee » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:40 am

Thank you, Mark, for that information, it is useful.

ROB. THOMASSON

Post by ROB. THOMASSON » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:29 am

I had the line boring done on my Gypsy major Hoyt big ends and their work was spot on. As above you need to give them the data and they are cautious about liability They measured a crank for me and when it was out of spec refused to charge for that bit I would heartily recommend them.