How to make new spats

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

tnowak

How to make new spats

Post by tnowak » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:57 am

I have two fibre glass spats on my Piper Vagabond but they are very heavy. They weigh 8 lb each.
I want to make new lightweight replacements and can use my existing spats for mould purposes.

I have no experience regarding modern composites and what would be the best materials to use.
I suspect that carbon fibre would be the lightest and strongest but suspect the construction techniques would be beyond my capabilities etc.

Where do I start? Any good references books (or experts) available?
Tony
Tony Nowak

Ian Melville

Re: How to make new spats

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:36 am

Barry Conway would be the man I would make a bee-line for.

We have the same spats on our PA17 (prob 90 off the same mold) I've left them off for now, partly because of the weight.
Ian Melville

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:13 pm

Hello Tony,

you have posted some helpful replies to some of my earlier posts so it's great to be able to reciprocate.

On YouTube you will find Mike Arnold's 'Moldless low-drag wheel pants'.
Its about an hour long and a wonderful primer on making wheel spats.
I gather you have some old spats so perhaps you won't need all the tips and techniques that Mike shows for the moldless approach - but actually all of the video is really inspiring and motivating.
Of course its only one source of information and no doubt others will be needed to help with carbon rather than glass fibre.

PS I used this video when making G-TREK's fibre glass spats over two decades ago when, like you, I had pretty much zilch experience of composite work.

PPS Mike made a few videos and they are all of the same high standard.
Richard

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:56 am

Hi Richard/Ian,

Thanks for the replies. I will have a look at the YouTube video and see what is involved.
Tony
Tony Nowak