Alternative propeller for Stampe

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Hotspur

Alternative propeller for Stampe

Post by Hotspur » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:13 pm

A while ago I bought the "firewall forward" from a Renault powered, U.S. operated Stampe. The propeller (which is a thing of beauty) is not on the approved list, but is made by Fahlin a well regarded U.S. manufacturer. It is marked up as being for a 140hp Renault and there is a YouTube video showing it very convincingly in use.I have consulted a well known propeller expert and manufacturer who opined that, lovely though it appears, the only way to find out if it's any good is to air-test it. How would I go about getting the approvals to carry out the testing, and what is the process for getting the propeller approved if satisfactory?
Thanks,
Geoff
Geoff Lynch

Chris Martyr

Re: Alternative propeller for Stampe

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:11 pm

Geoff : It's an interesting question , and it deserves to be rightfully answered .

Whilst there are certainly some very knowledgeable and experienced people who drop by here , there is only one place that can furnish you with the one definitive and correct way out of this .

I therefore recommend that you place the matter into the very capable hands of ; LAA Engineering, Turweston .

By all means let us know the outcome though mate . It is quite an interesting one.... :D

Hotspur

Post by Hotspur » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Thanks Chris, I couldnt' see an obvious link to engineering and rather hoped they might monitor the forum
Regards,
Geoff
Geoff Lynch

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Hotspur wrote: rather hoped they might monitor the forum ,Geoff
To be absolutely honest Geoff , I don't think that this forum is that closely monitored . Unless there is some sort of hot gossip going on . :wink:

But as I have said several times before , the quiet and peaceful state of the forum isn't necessarily a negative reflection on the membership . I like to think that it is a positive pointer to all being well in LAA-Land . Hopefully it means that all happy little LAA'ers are beavering away building/maintaining their aeroplanes in order to be ready to get out there and beat up those molecules once this cr@p wx has passed through .

I do agree about it not being immediately obvious on this website re; contacting the relevant people in LAA Engineering though . All I can see is a fairly generic engineering e-mail address in the front section of LA mag . So it would be nice if somebody relevant made contact with you over this ....Apart from just me ,,,,,,,,,,,and I'm completely irrelevant . .. :D

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:46 pm

I write as somebody who is definitely irreverent and almost certainly irrelevant, but I can confirm that as a general rule, the guys in LAA Engineering do not get involved in the Forum. The best way to contact them is via the Engineering@ email address, or you can phone the 01280 number and press 1 when asked, you'll then get through to our ever friendly and helpful Engineering admin ladies.
It is certainly possible to get a new type of prop added to the approved list for your aircraft, provided it meets the required specs. If it is from a reputable company who are willing to supply relevant data and answers to queries, then that will certainly aid the process.
Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
Rgds, Brian.