ST Aviation LCD Screen blank

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

David Lewendon

ST Aviation LCD Screen blank

Post by David Lewendon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Hello

I have an ST Aviation fuel flow monitor in my aircraft.

The LCD screen (DEM16214SYH-LY) has stopped working since I moved the panel where it is located to remove some fod that was there.

The screen glows when I switch the master on but does not show any characters or digits.

Please can someone suggest how I can test the LCD to see if it is working or not.

Thanks

mcfadyeanda

Re: ST Aviation LCD Screen blank

Post by mcfadyeanda » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:53 pm

Ah yes, that infuriating screen.
I'm not sure how you test them. Mine goes off when it gets anywhere near warm, then on again in winter.
I think in part due to a flakey voltage regulator in the main power supply of the electronics being too weedy (others have replaced these with some success).
There is also a modified circuit (a simple rheostat) that can be applied to vary screen contrast; I think this may have something to do with it too, but haven't tried that out.
Otherwise I was able to source a replacement screen from TME in Poland; at that time it was extremely difficult getting payment across, but they're now on PayPal.
https://www.tme.eu/en/
Haven't checked if they still have them.

Duncan McF.
Duncan McFadyean