VW Carb, Stromberg replacement

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Paul Turner

VW Carb, Stromberg replacement

Post by Paul Turner » Mon May 06, 2019 9:57 am

Just bought a Taylor monoplane with a Solex 30AHJ carb on a Peacock conversion VW 1600. Looking to replace with a Stromberg cd 150. There appears to be a 150, 150s and 150se
What are other folks using on a VW and any pitfalls I should look out for.
Cheers
Paul

Chris Martyr

Re: VW Carb, Stromberg replacement

Post by Chris Martyr » Mon May 06, 2019 4:04 pm

Hey Paul, That super sleek space-cruiser in the top RH of the page flies behind a Stromberg CD150 . They do the job superbly well and mine has done so for 15yrs now .

When I was building my aeroplane , I didn't have a clue either which Stromberg to go for , but a conversation with a splendid gent named Chris Bellworthy at Cranfield '97 solved the problem . He simply said that his was from a Hillman Hunter . A good place to start is http://www.speedyspares.co.uk really good and knowledgeable people and they also do mail order .

I'm not 100% sure about the S & SE designations , but have a funny feeling that they may be for twin carb. installations. The best option to go for is the early type with the mixture control screw under the float chamber. The later type require special tools for enriching or weakening the mixture and are a bit of a pain in the rear.

Take a good look at where you are going to fit it too Paul , because they stick out in a few more places than your Solex does .
But once you do get it installed , it should be worth it . The only potentially vulnerable part of it is the rubber diaphragm . But they are cheap as chips and I replace mine about every 2 years.

Paul Turner

Re: VW Carb, Stromberg replacement

Post by Paul Turner » Tue May 07, 2019 9:12 am

Thanks Chris, started searching!!
Cheers
Paul