heat exchanger

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

pilottrev

heat exchanger

Post by pilottrev » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:55 am

During my pre flight checks I noticed that my heat exchanger for my cabin heat was loose on the exhaust stub (sort of a sleeve that fits over the stub) is this normal or should it be tight at each end ?
any thoughts much appreciated

Trev
Trevor Bailey

dmcnicholl

Re: heat exchanger

Post by dmcnicholl » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:20 am

It should certainly not be loose as vibration will eventually cause it to fret it's way through the exhaust pipe allowing exhaust gasses (CO) into your cabin heat, and you don't want that.
When I bought my own little aeroplane it had a poorly executed home-brewed shroud for carb heat which destroyed the exhaust stub!

Without knowing the detail of your heat exchanger I assume the cabin air connection end will be closed off and the other end open with legs or brackets to space the shroud off the exhaust pipe so I would expect both ends to be secured immovably to the exhaust.
Donald McNicholl

pilottrev

Re: heat exchanger

Post by pilottrev » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:12 am

Thanks Donald, that was my thought too, I will go down tonight and tighten them up and check for any fret ting of the exhaust, fortunately it has been warm lately so the heater vents have all remained firmly closed off.

Trev
Trevor Bailey