C42 Fuel Line

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

MyToyotaGT86

C42 Fuel Line

Post by MyToyotaGT86 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:24 pm

FYI
I wanted to highlight and share an issue i had recently with the fuel tank supply line on my Ikarus C42, on a pre-flight check the smell of fuel odour inside the cockpit drew my attention to fuel staining around the fuel tank supply hose and on further investigation with the electric fuel pump selected to on a fuel drip was apparent, this necessitated a cancelled flight and hose replacement.On removing the failed hose it became evident how much the internal lining of the hose had deteriorated.Whilst it is mandated that the fuel hoses need replacing every 5 years it is good practice to inspect the hoses regularly for signs of discoloration as it is a good indicator of an impeding hose failure which can allow debris to enter the carburetors with a possible unwanted engine failure.
As a footnote I am now going to start replacing the fuel hoses to the upgraded black hose.
Phil Meech

Matt Dovey

Re: C42 Fuel Line

Post by Matt Dovey » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:52 pm

Phil,
Your hoses are supposed to be inspected at every permit renewal inspection by your inspector. There is a MPD, MPD 1998-019 R1. Its mandatory.