Rollason Condor tips

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Alan George

Rollason Condor tips

Post by Alan George » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:18 am

Hello All,

Good to see this Forum back up and running.

Recently I have become involved in the maintenance of a Rollason (Druine) Condor so am looking for information.

The joint between the wings and fuselage, aft of the leading edge aluminium fairing, is covered by some plastic trim that is looking very second hand so we want to replace it. What are people using here?

The screws on the canopy are corroded so we want to replace them with stainless ones. They are a random mixture of pan head screws and countersink screws with cup washers. I see in the Rollason parts manual they used pan heads on the fixed parts of the canopy and countersinks with cup washers on the opening hatches. What are people using here?

Thanks for any help & best wishes for the New Year, Alan.

Alan George

Re: Rollason Condor tips

Post by Alan George » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:07 pm

Hello All,

Has anyone got a good photograph or exploded parts diagram of the drum brakes used on a Jodel 1050 and Rollason Condor ?

I am having trouble with a brake not releasing when I let go of the handle. When tightening the nut on the slave cylinder it surely holds the external pistons against the back plate ? Is there a spacer missing or does it not matter ?

And for completeness from my last question about the wing to fuselage fairing. I used a concave composite moulding from a DIY store normally used for flooring to skirting board joints. This handles the compound curve and is fixed with gorilla glue.

Thanks, Alan.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:40 pm

Hi Alan, I am not aware of any parts diagrams for the DR1050.

I haven't had to face this yet, but there are known issues with DR1050 and D150. Is it the wheel end or master cylinder that is jambing?

Cheers
Ian
DR1050
G-AVGJ
Ian Melville

Alan George

Post by Alan George » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:21 am

Hi Ian,
I believe it's the wheel end, the slave cylinder that is jamming.
My next step is to bleed the brakes with the tail raised to level the master cylinders on the cockpit floor.
Cheers, Alan.

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:30 am

Hi Alan,

Does your slave cylinder look like this one:-

Alan George

Post by Alan George » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:36 pm

Hi John,

No, that is what the one in the Condor parts list looks like but mine looks like this
Last edited by Alan George on Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:10 am

Hi Alan,
My slave cylinder is different to yours and therefore my problem with it sticking may well be irrelevant to yours. In my case the the piston was sticking in the body of the unit due to the "O" ring jamming on rust which had formed.

Alan George

Post by Alan George » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:53 am

Hi John,

Thanks for responding but yes I think our problems are different, there was no rust on my pistons or cylinder body.

For information I took a photo of my brake yesterday. This was whilst I was bleeding them but I don't think that changed anything, we'll see when I do some taxi tests.
Attachments
right brake forum.jpg
Last edited by Alan George on Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan George

Post by Alan George » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:26 pm

The update on the brakes is inconclusive. If they are used briefly then OK but if the parking brake is used then they do not come all the way off and the brakes then rub against the drum. I will have to investigate the master cylinders to see if the pistons are moving well.

Today's question is the fuel shutoff valve situated on the left cockpit wall. It was made by Imperial and several aircraft back in the day used similar e.g. some Piper Cubs, Cessna 140s and maybe 150s. This one was very stiff to operate so I have removed it to lubricate. As spares are no longer available what are people using as the gasket between the bonnet and the body? That is the copper washer in the photo, drawings say it is 0.827 in ID, 1.071 in OD and 0.017 in thick. That one I have measured as 21.1 mm ID, 26.4 mm OD and 0.54 mm thick, sorry for the change in units.
Attachments
fuel_shutoff_valve_forum.jpg